“Everything Pizza” Pasta
Lunch or Dinner (great as leftovers!)
About this Recipe
This dish sits at the intersection of comforting pasta dish and addictive pizza! It’s less of a recipe than a template for whatever ingredients you have on hand, and how you generally like to top your pizza. I like pepperoni, fresh peppers and mushrooms, and of course mozzarella cheese – but you can sub in sausage or ground beef (just saute along with the onions and tomatoes), or chopped up roasted red peppers and marinated mushrooms to make this a truly pantry-friendly meal. (You can even chop up cheese sticks if you don’t have any other cheese on hand.) The herbs in the tangy tomato paste dressing give it that pizza sauce flavor without a heavy tomato sauce.
Eat it warm or cold (just like pizza), for lunch or dinner – this “everything pizza” pasta keeps well in the fridge for a few days and makes great leftovers. You can even continue to add more “toppings” to freshen it up each time you eat it.
- 4 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Toppings of choice, as much or as little as you like, such as: 1 cup chopped mushrooms, 1 chopped bell pepper, 1/2 cup chopped pepperoni, etc.
1 pound cooked pasta (pick a fun shape like rotini, gemelli, or radiatori)
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed (or baby mozzarella balls “ciliegine”)
Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and translucent. Add the canned tomatoes and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, tomato paste, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, and remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Prepare all of your topping ingredients.
- Add cooked pasta to bowl with onion mixture, then add cheese, toppings, and dressing. Stir to combine then season with salt and pepper to taste.